Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Franchise Fiction - Laura O'Neill - No More "Little Miss Perfect" (1992)

I'm sorry I haven't posted much. I also haven't been reading much, so there you go. Honestly, I was really getting deeply into D&D stuff: I wrote my adventure, I recruited players, I helped them make characters, I was researching tips and tricks and lore... I was really into D&D for like, a month.

I even read this book the same day the last post was new, and didn't have the desire to write a post for it until I was able to surface from the D&D water I was submerged in. In other words, today. So I apologize again, this time for the fact that this may not be the most comprehensive review ever. I mean, I did read it a month ago.

An aside: I never watched this show. Ever. I barely remember it being on. But it ran from 1991 to 1993, according to Wikipedia. I was five to seven then. Why should I care about a teen drama, even if it was on the channel I watched the most? So I don't know anything about the characters and their relations to each other. I don't even really know what they look like.

The premise of this book is that Courtney has a diary that she hides in her school locker to keep it safe. What an idiot. And then, a bitch named Brooke finds it and discovers all these parts about Courtney's best friend Ashley being too nice and too studious. She then shows these parts to Ashley, who gets mad at Courtney, doesn't tell her why, and briefly becomes a biker chick.

Why should I care? I don't see the draw.

The whole thing reads like it should just be an episode of a teen drama, which may have been the goal, but it left zero room for any human reactions. Why didn't Ashley say something to Courtney about what she wrote, or about Brooke violating her privacy? The whole thing is just one misunderstanding after another, and then at the end, everything is status quo. Yuck.

2.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment